About this Calculator
This online fraction calculator will convert a decimal to a fraction. If the decimal number is greater than or equal to 1 it will further be turned into a mixed number (mixed fraction).
How to convert a decimal to fraction (terminating decimals)
To convert a decimal to a fraction you can use a shortcut to express the decimal as a fraction then reduce the fraction.
- For example, convert 36.125 to a fraction
- Since 3 is in the ten's place, 6 is in the one's place, 1 is in the tenth's place, 2 is in the hundredth's place and 5 is in the thousandth's place we can say that 36.125 = (3*10)/1 + (6*1)/1 + (1/10) + (2/100) + (5/1000). In order to add these we need to find the common denominator which is 1000. So, 30000/1000 + 6000/1000 + 100/1000 + 20/1000 + 5/1000 = 36125/1000.
- The shortcut is to look at the number we want to convert as 36.125/1 then multiply top and bottom of this fraction by the value that will give us an integer in the numerator. In this case we multiply by 1000/1000. And since 1000/1000 = 1/1 = 1 we are only multiplying by 1 so the resulting fraction is equal to our original number with the decimal part.
- Finally, reduce the fraction to 36 1/8.
Decimal to Fraction
- For another example, convert 0.625 to a fraction.
- Multiply 0.625/1 by 1000/1000 to get 625/1000.
- Reducing we get 5/8.