Poker 5 Card Draw
Without betting, the basic rules of 5 card draw poker are as follows:
- One person is the dealer. The deal can rotate clockwise among the players so that each person has a turn at dealing.
- Starting with the player to the dealer's left, the dealer deals each player five cards, clockwise, one card at a time (face down with real cards): First card to each player, second card to each player, etc.
- Each player then discards and draws up to 3 new cards to try and make a better hand than what they were dealt. If a player holds an ace, he can discard the other four cards but must retain the ace. A player does not need to draw any cards if he wants to keep his original hand.
- Starting with the player to the dealer's left, the dealer deals each player new cards to replace any that they have discarded. The dealer deals all new cards to one player before moving on to the next player.
- After everyone receives their new cards, players show their hands and the best hand wins.
The following is a list of 5 card poker hands, from the best to worst, without jokers or wild cards in play
10-J-Q-K-A, all of the same suit.
Five cards, of the same suit, in order, such as 5-6-7-8-9 all of clubs.
Four of the same card, such as 3-3-3-3-8.
4. Full House
Three of a kind and a pair together, such as 8-8-8-5-5 or K-K-K-A-A
Five cards all of the same suit, but not in order, such as 4-6-7-Q-K of spades.
Five cards in a row, such as 2-3-4-5-6, but not all of the same suit.
Three cards of the same number or rank, such as 7-7-7 in a hand such as 7-7-7-5-Q.
8. Two Pair
Two pairs of cards of the same number or rank, such as Q-Q-5-5 in a hand such as Q-Q-5-5-4.
9. One Pair
Two cards that match, like K-K.
10. High Card
If no one has any of the above hands, the player with the highest card in his hand wins.
High card will also be important if you tie another player. For example, say you both have 2 pair of the same cards: you have Q-Q-5-5-9 and your opponent has Q-Q-5-5-2. You would win because a 9 beats a 2. If you had K-K-5-5-9 you would win based on having the higher pair as kings beat queens.
Cite this content, page or calculator as: