Find your running pace per mile, kilometer, yard or meter. Calculate the distance you can run in a given amount of time, time required to run a specific distance, or your running speed. Use this calculator to find average pace for running, biking, swimming or walking.
How to calculate running pace
- Divide your run time by your distance
- If you ran 3 miles in 30 minutes:
30 min ÷ 3 mi = 10 minutes per mile pace
How to calculate run distance
- Divide your running time by your pace
- If your pace is 8 minutes per mile and you ran for 32 minutes:
32 min ÷ 8 min per mi = 4 miles
How to calculate run time
- Multiply your pace by your distance
- If your pace is 9.5 minutes per mile and you ran 3 miles:
9.5 min per mi × 3 mi = 28.5 minutes = 28 minutes, 30 seconds
How to calculate running speed
- Divide your run distance by your run time
- If you ran 2.5 miles and you ran for 20 minutes:
2.5 mi ÷ 20 min = 0.125 miles per minute
You can use this calculator to find your ideal pace to run an event like a marathon or half marathon.
Example Calculation 1: What is my average pace if I want to finish a marathon in 4 hours?
- Choose "Calculate Pace" in the calculator above
- Enter 4 hours, 00 min, 00 sec for your time
- Enter 26.2 miles for your distance
- Click "Calculate"
In order to finish a marathon in 4 hours, your average pace needs to be 9 min, 9.62 sec per mile, or 9:9.62 minutes per mile.
Example Calculation 2: How long will it take me to run a half marathon if my average pace is 10 minutes, 30 seconds per mile?
- Choose "Calculate Time" in the calculator above
- Enter 13.1 miles for your distance
- Enter 10 min 30 sec per mile for your pace
- Click "Calculate"
If you run consistently at your 10:30 pace, you can expect to finish a half marathon in 2 hours, 17 minutes and 33 seconds. Your average speed will be 5.71 miles per hour.
See also IAAF Running Disciplines.
Time, Distance, Pace, Speed formulas and relationships
- time = pace × distance
time = pace time per unit distance × distance
- distance = time / pace
distance = time / pace time per unit distance
- pace = time / distance
pace time per unit distance = time / distance
- speed = distance / time
speed distance per unit time = distance / time
Cite this content, page or calculator as: