Calculate and present basic descriptive statistics for a sample data set including minimum, maximum, sum, count, mean, median, mode, standard deviation and variance. Enter 4 or more values and up to 5000 values separated by commas such as 1, 2, 4, 7, 7, 10, 2, 4, 5.
You can also copy and paste lines of data points from documents such as Excel spreadsheets or text documents in the following formats with or without commas:
42, 54, 65, 47, 59, 40, 53
42 54 65 47 59 40 53
54 65,,, 47,,59,
For additional descriptive values see Descriptive Statistics Calculator.
Below is a listing of the statistical values calculated and generally how they are determined with this calculator. Values in a set of data are represented by x1, x2, x3, ... xn.
Basic Statistics Formulas and Calculations
- The smallest value in a sample data set.
- The largest value in a sample data set.
- The total of all data values.
(x1 + x2 + x3 + ... + xn)
- Count (n)
- The total number of data values in a data set.
- The sum of all of the data divided by the count;
mean = sum / n.
- The numeric value separating the higher half of the ordered sample data from the lower half. If n is odd the median is the center value. If n is even the median is the average of the 2 center values.
- The value or values that occur most frequently in the data set.
- Standard Deviation (s)
- The square root of the variance;
2√variance or variance = s2
- The sum of the squared differences between data values and the mean, divided by the count - 1;
[ (x1 - mean)2 + (x2 - mean)2 + (x3 - mean)2 + ... + (xn - mean)2 ] / [n - 1]
Cite this content, page or calculator as: