For the location of interest enter the longitude and latitude along with your cooresponding time zone for that location. Calculates the times for sunrise, sunset, transit (zenith), dawn and dusk based on latitude and longitude.
Times and sunrise & sunset information found with PHP function date_sun_info().
Entering degrees and minutes or just degrees with positive or negative decimal numbers. You can find and enter latitude position in terms of north and south or positive and negative north. A negative value is negative north or positive south. Likewise you can find and enter longitude position in terms of east and west or positive and negative east.
For example, coordinates for Portland, Oregon can be expressed and entered as any of the following:
- latitude 45° 31' north and longitude 122° 41' west or
- latitude 45.52° north and longitude 122.68° west or
- latitude 45.52° north and longitude -122.68° east
Finding coordinates for a geographical location, say, Portland Oregon
- Use Google Maps to find your location, Portland Oregon
- Right click on the Google map and choose "What's Here?"
- 45.534251,-122.717285 will display in the search box and be seen when you roll over the marker
- These stand for 45.534251 north and -122.717285 east (or 122.717285 west)
- Use an online reference to look up latitude 45° 31' north and longitude 122° 41' west
To calculate these sunrise and sunset times you'll need to also set the time zone to UTC -08:00.
Definitions for sunrise, sunset, transit, civil dusk and dawn and other astronomical definitions.
UTC offsets used for time zones at Wikipedia.
FAA.gov Alaska Sunrise/Sunset/Twilight Calculator
NOAA.gov National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Sunrise/Sunset Calculator
Coordinates of major US and world cities in degrees and minutes
Time from National Maritime Museum (NMM) England.