Percent to Fraction Calculator
This online calculator converts a percent to a fraction. If the percent value is greater than 100% it is converted into a mixed number fraction. Enter percents to convert them into fractions. The number you enter can also have decimal places as in 3.5% or 0.625%.
To convert a percent to a fraction you first convert the percent to a decimal then use the same procedure as converting a decimal to fraction.
How to Convert a Percent to Fraction
- Divide the percentage by 100 to get a decimal number.
- Use that number as the numerator (top) of a fraction. Put a 1 in the denominator (bottom) of the fraction.
- Convert the decimal to a whole number: Count how many places are to the right of the decimal. If you have x decimal places then multiply numerator and denominator by 10x.
- Reduce the fraction: Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator and reduce the fraction by dividing both numerator and denominator by the GCF.
- Simplify the remaining fraction to a mixed number fraction if possible.
Example: Convert 35.5% to a fraction
1. Divide by 100
2. Rewrite the decimal number number as a fraction (over 1)
3. Multiply numerator and denominator by by 103 = 1000 to remove 3 decimal places
4. Find the Greatest Common Factor (GCF) of 355 and 1000 and reduce the fraction, dividing both numerator and denominator by GCF = 5
To convert a fraction to a percent see the Fraction to Percent Calculator.
Cite this content, page or calculator as: