The ratio calculator performs two types of operations:
- Solve ratios for the missing value when comparing ratios or proportions.
- Compare ratios and evaluate as true or false to answer whether ratios or fractions are equivalent.
This ratio calculator will accept decimals.
Compare Ratios and Solve for the Missing Value:
Enter A and B to find C and D.
The calculator will simplify the ratio A : B if possible. Otherwise the calculator finds an equivalent ratio by multiplying each of A and B by 2 to create values for C and D.
Enter A, B and C to find D.
The calculator solves for D = C * (B/A)
Enter A, B and D to find C.
The calculator solves for C = D * (A/B)
Evaluate Equivalent Ratios:
Enter A, B, C and D.
Is the ratio A : B equivalent to the ratio C : D? The calculator finds the values of A/B and C/D and compares the results to evaluate whether the statement is true or false.
Convert Ratio to Fraction
A part-to-part ratio states the proportion of the parts in relation to each other. The sum of the parts makes up the whole. The ratio 1 : 2 is read as "1 to 2." This means of the whole of 3, there is a part worth 1 and another part worth 2.
To convert a part-to-part ratio to fractions:
- Add the ratio terms to get the whole. Use this as the denominator.
1 : 2 => 1 + 2 = 3
- Convert the ratio into fractions. Each ratio term becomes a numerator in a fraction.
1 : 2 => 1/3, 2/3
- Therefore, in the part-to-part ratio 1 : 2, 1 is 1/3 of the whole and 2 is 2/3 of the whole.
To reduce a ratio to lowest terms in whole numbers see our Ratio Simplifier.
To simplify a fraction into a reduced fraction or mixed number use our Simplifying Fractions Calculator.