Unit Rate Calculator
Find the unit rate or unit price with this calculator.
A rate is a ratio comparing quantities of different items. A unit rate is a rate with 1 in the denominator. If you have a rate, such as price per some number of items, and the quantity in the denominator is not 1, you can calculate unit rate or price per unit by completing the division operation: numerator divided by denominator.
Examples of How to Find Unit Rate or Unit Price
Ryan purchased 3 apples for $1.80. What is the unit price, or the cost of one apple?
- We want to know the price per apple unit so we set up a ratio with the number of apples in the denominator. The total price goes in the numerator. So the fraction is 1.80/3.
- Complete the division: 1.80 ÷ 3 = .60. You can conclude that the per apple price unit rate is $0.60/1. Ryan paid a unit price of $0.60 per apple (60 cents per 1 apple = .60/1).
The pottery store can make 176 coffee mugs in an 8 hour day. How many mugs can they make in one hour?
- We want to know the number of mugs made per hour unit so we set up a ratio with hours in the denominator. The total number of mugs made per day goes in the numerator. So the fraction is 176/8.
- Complete the division: 176 ÷ 8 = 22. You can conclude that the per hour mug-making unit rate is 22/1. The pottery store makes 22 mugs per hour (22 mugs per 1 hour = 22/1).
Kylie can run 12 laps in 30 minutes. How many laps does she run per minute?
- We want to know the laps per minute unit so we set up a ratio with minutes in the denominator. The total laps goes in the numerator. So the fraction is 12/30.
- Complete the division: 12 ÷ 30 = 0.4. You can conclude that the per minute lap unit rate is 0.4/1. Kylie can run 0.4 laps per minute (0.4 laps per 1 minute = 0.4/1).
Rate Lesson at Braining Camp.
Cite this content, page or calculator as:
Furey, Edward "Unit Rate Calculator" at https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/unit-rate-calculator.php from CalculatorSoup, https://www.calculatorsoup.com - Online Calculators