Use this GPA calculator to find your GPA using the standard 4.0 GPA scale or a weighted scale for Honors and AP courses. Input the course name, the number of course credits and your grade for the term. Select the grade scale:
- Std = Standard scale where A = 4.0
- Hon = Honors scale where A = 4.5
- AP = Advanced Placement scale where A = 5.0
The calculator fills in the grade point value for the letter grade on the scale you selected. If you know your letter grade value and it's different from our scale you can edit the grade points field. For example if you got an A+ in an Honors course and you know your A+ is worth 4.8 points at your school you can update the Points field by typing in 4.8.
Click the Calculate button to calculate your GPA. For each course, we multiply the number of credits by the grade points value. Then add up these products and divide by the total number of credits. See a sample calculation in the table at the bottom of this page.
How to Calculate GPA
- For each course, multiply credits by grade points
- Add those results to get total quality points
- Divide total quality points by total number of credits for courses where you earned a letter grade
- Do not include credits for pass/no pass courses, incompletes or withdrawals (P, N/P, I, W)
Unweighted and Weighted GPA Scales
This calculator uses the following scales for grade points: Standard 4.0 GPA Scale, Honors Grade Point Scale and Advanced Placement (AP) Grade Point Scale.
Calculate Your GPA by Hand
Follow the steps here along with the Example GPA Calculation in the table below. Then calculate your own GPA by hand.
- For each course where you earned a letter grade, multiply the credit hours by the grade points to get Quality Points.
Credit Hours × Grade Points = Quality Points per course
- Add all of the Credit Hours for courses where you earned a letter grade
- Add all of the Quality Points
- Divide the total Quality Points by the total Credit Hours to get your
Total Quality Points ÷ Total Credit Hours = GPA
GPA Calculation Example
*Note that the credits for the Golf course are not included in the GPA calculation above. Golf was graded on a Pass/No Pass basis, so a letter grade was not earned for the course. Credit hours for Golf are excluded from the total credits for the purposes of calculating GPA.
How to Calculate Your Cumulative GPA
- Find your past GPA and past total Credit Hours.
Multiply past GPA × past total Credit Hours = past total Quality Points
- Add past and current term Credit Hours
- Add past and current term Quality Points
- Divide the Total Quality Points by the Total Credit Hours to get Cumulative GPA.
Total Quality Points ÷ Total Credit Hours = Cumulative GPA
Cite this content, page or calculator as:
Furey, Edward "GPA Calculator" at https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/statistics/gpa-calculator.php from CalculatorSoup, https://www.calculatorsoup.com - Online Calculators
Last updated: September 19, 2023