Work Hours Calculator
Use this calculator to add up your work week time sheet and calculate work hours for payroll. This online time clock uses a standard 12-hour work clock with am and pm or a 24-hour clock for military time.
Calculate total work hours with lunch and breaks. Total work hours are provided in hours and minutes hh:mm format as well as decimal hours.
How to Calculate Work Hours
- Enter numbers such as 1215 for 12:15 or 137 for 1:37. We don't require a colon.
- On a 12 hour clock you can enter a single number from 1 through 12 to indicate 1:00 through 12:00 on the hour.
- Use the Tab key to move through the input boxes or just click on each box.
- On a 12 hour clock use 12:00 pm for noon and 12:00 am for midnight.
- Adjust Settings to customize your time sheet.
If you need other time card work hours options we offer a free, full-featured payroll hours calculator on our partner website Time Card Calculator .net.
About Time Card Settings
- Clock Format
- Choose whether you are entering standard 12-hour work time with am and pm or 24-hour military time
- Deduct Breaks
- Use this function if you want to deduct total lunch or break time each day. Enter break times in total number of minutes.
- OT Overtime
- The Time Card summary shows a breakdown of regular work hours and overtime hours. For the default setting, overtime hours are calculated after 40 hours per week as per FLSA overtime rules in the United States.
- Change 40 to another value as necessary. Other countries and certain industries pay overtime at thresholds greater than or less than 40 hours per week.
- For additional overtime rules visit our partner time card calculator at Time Card Calculator .net
- Enter = Tab
- For desktop users with a keybord, use the Tab key to advance through input fields.
- By setting Enter = Tab you can advance to the next input field using the Enter key. This is convenient for users entering numbers with a keyboard keypad using one hand.
- Tab or Enter through all input boxes to reach the Calculate button, or you can use a trackpad or mouse to click the Calculate button.
- Save Last Inputs
- Check Yes if you want the browser to remember your latest time card work hours entries. If you close your browser and do not delete cookies, your last inputs will be here when you return.
- Check No to clear your time card inputs when you leave this calculator.
How to Convert hh:mm Digital Time to Decimal Hours
Employers typically use decimal hours to calculate work week pay. They take the number of hours worked in a week in decimal form, and multiply that by the rate of pay. If you worked 41:15, 41 hours and 15 minutes, how would you calculate your total pay?
You need to convert the hh:mm time of 41:15 to decimal hours.
Converting from Minutes to Decimal Hours
You worked 41 whole hours, so that will be the same in decimal hours. You only need to convert 15 minutes into decimal hours.
Take your number of minutes and divide by 60. In this example your partial hour is 15 minutes:
15/60 = 0.25
- Add your whole hours back in to get 41.25 hours. So 41 hours, 15 minutes equals 41.25 hours.
- Multiply your rate of pay by decimal hours to get your total pay before taxes.
In Reverse, Converting from Decimal Hours to Minutes
- Take your number of minutes and multiply by 60
- Say you had a decimal of 0.75 hours. Multiply:
0.75 × 60 = 45 minutes